Header AD

Fallout 4’s desolate Glowing Sea represents Bethesda’s RPG storytelling at its best

Fallout 4’s desolate Glowing Sea represents Bethesda’s RPG storytelling at its best

I have two recurring nightmares. In one, I'm inside this church that I used to visit as a child. All the lights suddenly go out, the doors lock, and I realise I'm trapped in there for the entire night. In the other, I'm standing in the street when I look up to see a passenger jet hurtling out of the sky, heading directly into the ground.

These motifs are repeated in Fallout 4’s The Glowing Sea, a sprawling, unnerving desolation located in the south-west corner of what used to be Boston. The first is evoked by Forgotten Church, a building almost entirely buried by nuclear waste that can only be entered via a hatch in the roof. Meanwhile, Skylanes Flight 1665 – the crash site of a pre-war passenger jet – dredges up the second. For me, these locations underscore The Glowing Sea’s macabre yet majestic power – a vast tract of uninhabitable land that, perhaps counterintuitively, best represents Bethesda Game Studios’ storytelling chops.

RELATED LINKS: Fallout 4 console commands, Fallout 4 mods, Fallout 76 release date
Fallout 4’s desolate Glowing Sea represents Bethesda’s RPG storytelling at its best Fallout 4’s desolate Glowing Sea represents Bethesda’s RPG storytelling at its best Reviewed by Unknown on May 10, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments

Post AD